The Church of the Holy Cross was built in 1529 with a spire on top of the church tower. The spire was struck by lightning in 1689 and the resulting major fire, which melted the bells, necessitated the rebuilding of the top stage of the tower in brick. It also destroyed painted windows which bore the arms of the Cruwys family. The repairs, which also involved a new roof and pews, took thirteen years to complete. The windows were replaced with stained glass renderings of the arms of the Cruwys family.
There was also a chapel belonging to Cruwys Morchard House which was the burial place of the Cruwys family, but the chapel was destroyed by Oliver Cromwell and it is believed that many family monuments suffered the same fate.
The church is a member of the Exe Valley Community Mission, a group of nine Anglican churches in the Mid Devon area. Their two-monthly magazine called Today is distributed to all households in each of the parishes.